uWalk And PayPal
uWalk uses PayPal to handle securely accepting and processing online donations. This web page provides step-by-step
instructions on how to configure a PayPal account to work with uWalk.
Note: We will try to keep these instructions as up-to-date as possible, however, we don't have any control over the
PayPal side-of-things. So if you find any inconsistencies or changes there, please let us know and we will update these instructions
accordingly. Thank you!
Step 1: Creating A PayPal Account
If your school does not have a PayPal account yet, you can create one by going to https://www.paypal.com and choose "Signup".
A few notes when creating the account:
- The email address you use here will be the main username/email address that you will use to login/manage your PayPal account.
- The account type should be a Business type account.
- The business name you specify here will appear on the PayPal screens and receipts, so you should use the real name of your school.
- You will need your school's EIN number when creating the PayPal account, so you may need to contact your school administrator for that number.
Step 2: (Optional) Associating Your PayPal Account With Your Bank Account
After creating a PayPal account, you are actually ready to start receiving payments. No further action is required at this time. But at some point, you
will want to access the funds that are collected in your PayPal account. To do that, there are a couple options:
Option 1: Wait until the end of the walk-a-thon and then have PayPal send you a check. To request a check, just login to your PayPal account and under "Withdraw", select "Requests a check from PayPal".
Option 2: Associate a bank account with your PayPal account and then directly transfer the funds into your account. To do this, just login to your PayPal account and under "Profile" choose to "Add Bank Account". You will then be required to enter your bank account information - account number and routing number - and then confirm that bank account by specifying the value of two test transactions that will be deposited in your bank account. Note that while adding/confirming this bank account information takes several steps, it is easiest in the long run and is the recommended approach.
If your school is leary about associating their bank account with your PayPal account, perhaps wait until the end of the walk-a-thon and then have the school associated/then delete the bank account information then. They are usually more open to associating the bank account when they see money waiting for them :^)
Step 3: Getting Your PayPal Interface Signature
To accept donations online with PayPal, you will need to get your unique Interface Signature from PayPal. To do this:
Your credential API signature will look something like this:
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Navigate to Tools > All Tools.
- On The All Tools page, select API Credentials to display the API Credentials page.
- Under NVP/SOAP API integration (Classic), select Manage API credentials to view the API Signatures page. If you have existing credentials, they will be displayed here.
- To create new credentials, select Request API Signature and click Agree and Submit.
API Username: yourname_api1.yourschool.com
API Password: DMBAYZQHFWQXJGCZ
Keep this information private, however, you will need all three values to configure uWalk to accept online donations in the next step.
Step 4: Specifying PayPal Signature in uWalk
To configuration uWalk to use your PayPal account to accept online donations:
You are now ready to accept donations online!
- Login to your uWalk Admin Panel
- Select Configure Donation Settings
- Specify the PayPal Username, PayPal Password, and PayPal Signature as the three values obtained from PayPal in Step 3.
- Also be sure to set Enable PayPal to YES
- Press Save to complete the setup process.
Allowing Guests To Donate Without A PayPal Account
You might want to allow guests to donate without requiring them to have a PayPal Account. This is possible
by doing the following:
Visitors will now have the options to pay via PayPal or by just entering their Credit Card without creating a PayPal account.
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Navigate to My Account > Profile > Profile and Settings > My Selling Tools.
- Next to Website Preferences, click on "Update".
- Find the PayPal Account Optional setting and make sure it is On.
- Save as necessary.