www.uburst.com www.uburst.com

"Question about Tax setup"

Go back to the LobbyClick here to Go Back to Main ListingClick here to see helpClick here to Search the Forum

Tax, Shipping, and Handling Questions
Forum Type: Public
Moderator: edmunds
Time Zone: EST
Printer Friendly Format
Original Message
 
"Question about Tax setup"
Posted by Randy on Nov-12-00 at 01:26 PM (EST)
Ok ... I think I understand the way the tax rates, etc... work. I was editing the Tax Table (States):ON=8.0%,Ontario=8.0%,AB=7.0%,Alberta=7.0%,...etc..and then I did the same thing for countrys. If I selected Ontario, the tax rate went to 8%, If Alberta was selected from the drop down menu, they were charged 7%.

Now my question is. In Canada we have a GST which is 7% for all provinces across the board. Now in Ontario (only in Ontario because this is where the company is), you have to pay an additional 8% PST on top of that (for a total of 15%) UNLESS, you have a PST Exemption form. If a customer in Ontario has a PST Exemption form, they only get charged the 7% GST.

Now did I do this right?
I put in the Tax Menu Rates:7.0%,15.0%
So if this works right, all provinces will be charged the 7% GST, and where the drop down menu for the 7.0%, and 15.0% is I have this, "Ontario businesses who are NOT PST exempt, please click on the tax rate and select 15%"

(The company will need a copy of their exemption forms to be sure, and I also added that if you do have a PST Exemption form, click on the box and type in the form #...not to sure if any companies would want to type in their # though)

Anyhow, I guess this would have to work more or less on the honour system? and the company here would have to verify that if a Ontario business left it at 7%, it would have to be varified against their copy of the exemption form.

Did I confuse you yet?? lol

I working test can be seen here

http://www.marshlandscanada.com/test_form/orderform.html

It will just bring you to a "Start the Order Procees" page, but will let you run through and see it.

Just wanna make sure I don't screw around with anyone's taxes (hehehehe)

Thanks
Randy

Click to Send Alert Message to the Administrator Click to edit this messageClick to EMail Click here to reply to this messageClick here to reply to this message with quotesClick to goto the Table of Contents

 Table of Contents

RE: Question about Tax setup, Bill Weiner, Nov-13-00, (1)

 

 
Click here to goto Click here to goto the Lobby
Messages in this discussion
 
1 . "RE: Question about Tax setup"
Posted by Bill Weiner on Nov-13-00 at 06:14 AM (EST)
Yep, that should work as you described. And from looking at your site, I like the way you implemented the "P.S.T. Rate" section on your order form..... that should make it clear enough for Ontario customers.
Remove this Message: Administrator and Moderator onlyClick to Send Alert Message to the Administrator Click to edit this messageClick here to reply to this messageClick here to reply to this message with quotesClick to goto the Table of Contents


Archive This Thread: Admin and Moderator OnlyRemove This Thread: Admin and Moderator Only
Click here to goto Click here to goto the Lobby

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.